Sunday, September 27, 2015

Bar Rafaeli is getting married & Israel does not care, except it does & other Israeli things

Things you might not know or expect about Israel that I've learned from my first month in the country:

1) Israelis hate broccoli with a vengeance. This is because in American movies broccoli was said to be disgusting, so as a nation everyone stopped eating it and now you can't even find it in grocery stores. They also think zucchini is weird. 

2) To avoid the cost of traffic lights, roads have traffic circles. They're everywhere and really annoying. And even though they're everywhere, cars still randomly stop or slow down in the middle of them. 

3) Ketchup is a way of life. Especially in the north of Israel ketchup goes on everything. Especially pizza. 

4) "Waterslide" is actually a giant pipe you can float the current through. 


5) Lines or queues are an inconvenience. Israelis do not accept the concept of forming lines. They just walk to the front, or right up to the cash register. 

6) Bar Rafaeli, the Israeli supermodel got married last weekend. Everyone had thoughts and opinions on the guy she was marrying and seemed to feel that in the looks department, she could do better, but hey, he's a millionaire, so we get it. Bar Rafaeli apparently has the sway to control the airspace in Israel. She requested Israel's Civil Aviation Authority close the airspace above the wedding so no paparazzi could take photos. Much to the disdain of the Minister of Transportation, I think they did it. 

7) Cats are not pets, they are a menace. Especially in Beit She'an, where there more cats than anywhere else I've traveled and they're all emancipated. They don't have a long life span; we see many dead on the side of the road. 

8) Asking for someone to pass you a dish or saying "please" and "thank you" when you want something is not common place. At the dinner table you really just reach and grab whatever you can get your hands on. 

9) HaShahar is a chocolate spread that most Israelis believe is better than Nutella. I don't think it is. 

10) Schitzel is actually enjoyed here. I don't know how it's possible since I feel that it's a sad fate for food products to become, but they freely make it and even serve it at restaurants and many willingly chose to eat it. 

11) Israeli drivers. Oh my. Well, you feel really alive as you tailgate to the point of almost being in another persons car as you wait for the chance to pass and go 140km/hr over local roads. 

10 comments:

  1. Now just wait until you come back to the States and get to experience Vermont drivers again... What a contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, they couldn't be more opposite! I like to think of it as a roller coaster ride when I drive with Israelis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck is schitzel? What's killing the cats you see on the roadside---could it be schitzel? Sounds very unsanitary.
    Come home!
    Cousin Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cousin Sadie is Elyse spelled backwards. Sorry if I frightened you---I did not intend to do that. I still would like to know about schitzel; it truly may be killing the felines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very clever & please keep it up! I was just wracking my brain to figure out the mystery of Sadie since I knew that I must know them, but wasn't quite sure of who it could be!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cats are getting hit by cars since the Israeli drivers propel themselves with such speed through the neighborhoods. At least that's what I think happens in Beit She'an. People realllllly do not like cats there, so I don't think that it bothers them at all if they hit a cat, or pass a dead one on the side of the road.
    Apparently back when the British had control of the Holy Land they brought over the cats to take care of the rat problem. But now the cats are just as widespread as the rats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Schnitzel is a German food; it's a piece of meat that's breaded and fried. For vegetarians, they make it out of a gruel and corn mixture. It usually looks like something you'd find in a prison cafeteria. I think it's disgusting and can't believe that it's present among such good & flavorful food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I can comment, Phew!
    But only on my computer, not my iPad.
    I want to travel with you. Seems incredible your experience. You are so brave my darling daughter and I miss cooking chick peas with you!
    I love you so very much!
    Keep the great posts coming. who knows, perhaps Windrige Publishing would likes your essays at some point.
    It is officially October. North wind blowing into Vermont!
    Stay well,
    XOX
    Mom

    ReplyDelete