Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sandstorm 2015

Yesterday (8/9/2015) I experienced Israel's thickest dust storm in 15 years (boom, phrasing). 

Winds picked up sand in Syria and then whipped the dust and sand down into Israel. It's crazy to think that these locations that were once extremely far from me, now effect the weather that I experience! 


As the day went on visibility dropped down to around 20 feet, the air smelled burnt and the sun was completely blotted out. Cars had to use their windshield wipers to clear the heavy dust from their windshield in order to drive. Running was out of the question, it was heavily encouraged that we stay inside and drink lots of water. 
Today, Wednesday, the dust is lighter and I can see the outline of the sun, but it really looks like we're on an alien planet, like Tatooine. 
It was such an amazing and profound natural phenomena to experience that I took a lot of pictures as did my roommate Jessica, so I collected some of them to detail the experience!  
My roommates and I commenerated the event by going to our rooftop to get a good view and then danced to Darude's Sandstorm, a techno song of the late 2000's played at many a school dance, which seemed to fit the momentous occasion! :) So that basically is how I survived the Israeli sandstorm of 2015! 








1 comment:

  1. This pictures are unreal! That's amazing that you experienced this in real life. It totally looks like a post-apocalyptic world in which Mother Nature kicked the butt of the humans.

    ReplyDelete